welcome to the johnson family blog~ my name is mindy & my husband is brian, aka baja. we have been married since 08.08.08. the two of us became the five of us! our tiny baby bird, vivienne, arrived 04.12.12, baby lucielle came on 08.06.13 and baby edith on 11.19.15. thanks for stopping by our blogsite. here you'll find our photography work & our personal life, everything from family portraits to what’s going on in our life. it’s both a blog (to connect with friends and family who live a little too far away) & a journal/scrapbook (to remember all the little details as our family changes). so welcome, thanks for coming & enjoy! contact me at: hopefeathers {at} me {dot} com.

April 23, 2013

Birthday Party!

I had more fun than I should have planning Vivienne's first birthday party! Thanks to pinterest, my brain was overflowing with ideas! From the first time Viv saw her first balloon, she's loved them! She says "oooOOOOooo" when she sees them. So a balloon theme was a no brainer. We went with a combo balloon and hot air balloon theme with lots of bright colors! Everything was hand-made by by either me, my mom, my sister or Brian's mom. Lots of creative crafty ladies in my family. LOVE IT!
I made the hot air balloon out of a little basket and a big chevron Chinese lantern I saw at Michael's. Brian's mom has an awesome machine that can cut out any shape out of paper. She helped cut out the balloon bunting, the toothpick balloon cupcake toppers and the bows for the gender reveal!
I'm been using the "V" for Vivienne's monthly photos, but I made the "1" special for the party. I'll post a tutorial soon.
We used a twister game as a table cloth. Just the right colors and size for the party! Plus it gave us an opportunity to finally open the twister box we got for a wedding gift nearly 5 years ago!
We used a balloon cookie cutter to cut balloon shaped PB&J and also chicken salad sandwiches. Yum!
Stacey made the sweet invitation! It was a combo of hand water coloring and graphic design. LOVE!
I saw these old light bulb hot air balloons on pinterest. Super easy! I just took an old light bulb and used modge podge to glue fabric to it. Then added yarn string and a felt basket and Ta-Da!
The chalkboard was the craft the took the longest, but I love how it tuned out! I took a crappy goodwill frame, removed the picture and painted the backing with chalkboard paint and the frame yellow. Then I used regular crayola chalk to add the details of her first year. I'm sure we will re-use this for each year for each kid!
We found some fun sodas at ACE Hardware of all places! They were on super sale because they weren't selling. They were just the right fun for the party.
Viv got a special cupcake covered in sprinkles! More birthday party fun to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment